Where we've been


View Melbourne VIC in a larger map

Sunday, January 16, 2011

North Melbourne



After a bit of a delay, due to christmas, new years celebrations, and friends visiting, we are back into our Melbourne excursions. Exciting developments (at least in our world)...as a result of Christmas, presents and stuff, Debbie has a new camera (an Olympus EPL1) and Sarah has acquired Debbie's old camera (the Canon IXUS 95). And I (Dale) am also armed with a new lens (Olympus 9-18mm). So, off we went, it was my choice, and (with a bit of influence from everyone else), we decided on North Melbourne. Post in progress...


Dale's view
 North Melbourne Footy Ground at Arden St. Taken with my wide angle zoom, at its widest angle.

 North Melbourne post office - corner of Errol and Queensbury St.

I just can't go past a red Mustang

Without any doubt - Di Bella coffee on Leveson St is the best place in all of Melbourne to buy coffee beans. They roast the beans in house, they are major suppliers around Melbourne cafe's, and the coffee is fantastic. Also, while price isn't the most important factor in the search for the best cup, the beans cost $28 per kilogram AND you get a free (and very well made) coffee of your choice. You can even buy 250g for roughly $7:50 and you still get a free coffee. Sorry, I am going on a bit, but I get excited by a good deal and also by nice coffee...

The friendly staff in Di Bella were only too pleased to pose for a photo. Unfortunately, I didn't have my flash ready, so the slow shutter speed indoors caused a bit of blurring, especially of the faster moving staff members.

The best wedding Jag in all of Nth Melbourne

The church that we parked next to. Upon disembarking from the car, right outside this church, I placed my camera bag on the ground, squatting next to it, as I got my lenses sorted. A couple of minutes later, when I stood up, Sarah pointed out that I had perched over an ant's nest. I immediately discovered I had ants rapidly ascending inside the leg of my shorts. This, combined with my frantic efforts to remove them, was met with much glee and little sympathy from my two travelling companions.

Our afternoon tea location. I was all set to have a nice latte, but Deb butted in as the waitress approached and said "gimme a beer". So, beers (and nachos) it was - and a milk shake for Sarah.

A fancy sign on Errol St. Can't say Errol without wanting to sing 'Wo, Errol, I would give anything, just to be like him', which would mean more to an Australian audience who were conscious in the early 80s than it did to Sarah and any other non Australian Crawl fans.

The Limerick Castle pub.

 Errol St from the back of a Mazda. God I'm arty.

Jawa cafe - very red and orange, very inviting, must go back there. The friendly owner out the front (below) was most keen for us to photograph it, so I did, and him too. Now I think about it, he looks a bit like Sam Newman.

Sam Newman replica, outside the Jawa cafe on Victoria St.


 Nice old bluestone residence, but nobody told them that blue and green should never be seen.

 I am trying to cut down on graffitti images, but this was too hard to resist.

 Always love a rusty old sign. Cafe Trutrack on Errol...
I would give anything, just to be like him...


 Accidental Art. A once painted, tiled, doorstep

 Even tea can be arty

 A Fembot

 Outside Nth Melbourne Footy oval on Arden St.

The three crowns pub - a Nth Melbourne Icon.


Debbie's view

 Three ladies (4 counting the one walking by, 6 if we count the two across the street).
Poor Sam, behind bars in the local Salvo's.
The North Melbourne Masonic Hall looks like it hasn't been visited in a while.  Maybe everyone forgot the secret handshake.


North Melbourne lockup.
Lots of the old houses in North Melbourne have beautiful tiles in the entrance way.


I liked the combination of colours here.
The Three Crowns Hotel.

Sarah's View

 Now that is the place where daddy was neeling down on pile of ants and when i told him he went CRAZY realy i mean it he did
 now i think that those ..things are made out of play dough what do you think???????
 i wonder why they put those power lines up there maybe so people can not fly away
 Wow this is one nice car the prettiest of all the shiniest of all the best car of all 
 boing boing boing that would be a great ride........ for a frog
 that is a handle for a secret wall is that exciting .........no i am just kidding it is just a rusty handle but what for?  don don don
 That looks like an arrow a black one .Wait that could be a good thing for hanging things on it 
 i think that looks like a R and also a P with spider webs all over it 
 up up up up and away 
 wow i think this picture is ........ grate     ha ha ha 
 now this is one wedding car but where is the bride? maybe she is in the car kissing her husbend
 looks like the cheeter or tiger......... well what ever it is, it's going to  run of 
 SOSTA it looks like it is at the beach
 i think this could be a puzzle
 i love the green moss coming out of those gray bricks 
 it looks happy 
 a rusty old lock. i wonder if it still works
  This is the life, a bottle of beer a bottle of water nothing could go wrong.............
 look at all these cakes ............... can i get one ????
 wow that bulding is higher than the power lines 
 i can see lots of pictures in this picture 

 Rapunzel rapunzel let down your golden hair 
now i do not meen to brag but my photos are the best

No comments:

Post a Comment