Where we've been


View Melbourne VIC in a larger map

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ripponlea


Ashamed to say that it has been over a year since we have updated this blog. We have plenty of suburbs to go, and we are going to keep at it, hopefully at a higher rate than 1 suburb per year. As it was a late decision to go out this time, we chose a nice little suburb that we could cover in 3 or so hours...Ripponlea.

Debbie's view
Welcome to Ripponlea.

I know a dog called Billie who has probably stopped here before for a drink (and a piddle).

Pull up a stool at the very popular Spout cafe.  The folks are so friendly there and the food is delicious.

...dance with me, in the old fashioned way.  Won't you stay in my arms? Oh I guess not.

What other kind of fish would you find in Ripponlea?

Sounds like a good film.

The gorgeous mirror at Miriam's gift shop.  So much to look at.

An amazing find at the bric-a-brac shop.  Astro Boy.

The local Op shop, teeming with glorious fashion and crockery.

Sarah's view
This is a glass roof thingy where the flower shop was. To me it looks like a big flower.


Yum yum yum. This was the meal I had at the cafe called Spout. This was the Spout mess which included pistatio, berries, morang, and yoghurt.


This is a pretty flower I saw in the flower shop we past but the thing is I do not know if its real or not.


This is the flower shop. I think it looks very pretty and also a bit old fashioned. I like how it has a main colour which is red.


Would anyone like a cup of tea ? Here are some tea cups that I saw in a shop and I really liked the colours on them.


Now this is probably my favourite picture I took because it looks like these sharp things are coming out from the middle of nowhere and I really like the colours.


This is similar to the picture before, with all the colours and how its all organised. There was a lot of colour in that shop.


I really like flamingos because they are PINK and funny looking and I like how they walk and they look like walking swans


These are one of the 2 sentences that kids HATE. Where ever you go you are always hearing "go brush your teeth , go make your bed, do this, do that." It's so annoying 

Dale's view

A Ripponlea landmark - corner of Glen Eira Rd and Hotham St. Not a building of beauty by any stretch, but no photo tour of the suburb would be complete without it.

 Retro chairs that can double as toilets??

Katherine - long time Ripponlea resident, taking a break from her work in the op-shop, was very happy to point out some of the more interesting shops to visit and photograph in her little neighbourhood.

 I can't look at this pic without the music from 'My three sons' (60's TV show) popping into my head.

 A decorative lane-way off Glen Eira Rd.

Attica - a 3 hat restaurant smack bang in little old Ripponlea. Ranked as 63rd best restaurant in the world I'll have you know,  and voted Restaurant of the Year by The Age - good food guide. Must eat there one day.

 This dashing face in the Ripponlea barber shop window was begging to be photographed.

The old Brinsmead's Pharmacy. Build in 1918 and maintained in its original style with original fittings. Apparently James Brinsmead was very famous for his hand cream! Unfortunately it wasn't open so we couldn't put this to the test (especially since they now only sell flowers).

 Proof that there are plenty of people living in Ripponlea... Look at all those postboxes!

This is shy Miriam from 'Miriam and Friends' http://www.miriambereson.com
- a lovely little gift shop on Glen Eira Rd that was full of things that captured our attention, especially Sarah's. If you look carefully, you can see the photographer in the mirror...

One of Miriam's lovely necklaces!

A typical Ripponlea suburban street (except most of them don't have two white jags).

Can't go past a beautiful E-type Jag without snapping a shot or two.

This fellow living on Hotham St really wants to spread the word.

2 comments:

  1. Bric a brac shop? When did that open? I don't remember there being an op shop, either... I'm coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - they had to open a couple of second hand shops to cope with all the stuff you and Duncan left behind... Come back - all is forgiven!

      Delete